If you don’t already know, I’m a huge fan of turmeric. In fact, turmeric is a key ingredient in my Golden Latte currently available at Erewhon Market. It not only boasts a rich and spicy taste, but has some surprising health benefits as well. This rich yellow herb has certainly made its way into the wellness industry, and for good reason. Turmeric has been used for thousands of years due to its medicinal properties. So, if you’re curious what the hype is all about, then here are ten benefits of this ancient spice.
1. It has natural inflammatory compounds – curcumin, the main active ingredient in turmeric, has been shown to help fight chronic inflammation.
2. It’s a natural antioxidant – curcumin is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals.
3. It can lower your risk of heart disease – curcumin can improve the lining of your blood vessels which helps regulate blood pressure, blood clotting, and various other factors.
4. It can help fight depression – some studies suggests that curcumin can boost the brain neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
5. Keeps blood sugar levels steady – because of its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is also useful in preventing type 2 diabetes.
6. It can help fight infection – the next time you’re feeling under the weather, try adding some turmeric to your tea or latte for some boosted immune support.
7. It can help with headaches – ginger, its relative, is a well-known natural headache remedy, so it’s no surprise that turmeric gets recommended to treat headaches as well.
8. Contains anti-aging properties – because inflammation plays a huge role in the aging process, turmeric is believed to help with the aging process.
9. It can help fight acne – turmeric can be found in some acne fighting treatments, probably due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
10. It tastes good – turmeric has an earthy aroma, is slightly peppery with a subtle ginger taste making it the perfect fall and winter flavor!