A talk a lot about the importance of self-care, but I think more importantly, there are things we can do everyday to improve our overall quality of life. These things don’t have to take a lot of time or money, but if incorporated into our daily routines, can make a huge improvement in our overall happiness and fulfillment. Making mundane tasks like preparing dinner a little more special might seem insignificant, but can really change the way we think about and appreciate little moments. So, here are ten things you could do to live a happier, more fulfilling life.
1. Make your bed – Isn’t it so much nicer getting into a freshly made bed at the end of the day than an untidy mess? Not only does making your bed give you a feeling of accomplishment first thing in the morning, but it’s much more fulfilling at the end of a long day as well.
2. Buy fresh flowers – I don’t know about you, but having fresh flowers in my home just elevates and brightens my mood every time I see them. I once heard someone say, fresh flowers are food for the soul, and I’ve never thought twice about buying a bouquet since. If something that costs less than $20 can impact the way you feel each day, then it’s money well spent.
3. Light a candle – Candles have a way of not only elevating your entire space, but your mood as well. Your sense of smell is closely linked to your memory, hence the reason certain smells can trigger old memories. So, why not tap into that sense on the daily?
4. Sit down for dinner and use nice serveware – If you’ve ever eaten dinner standing up or on the couch (and you’re not alone) then slow down and actually enjoy your dinner. We already rush through breakfast, often eating on the go, and eat lunch at our desks, so why not use actual plates and nice serveware for dinner. It’s one small thing you could do each day to make a meal feel more special – and yes – totally worth the extra dishes!
5. Listen to music – Even if it’s just jazz playing in the background, music can instantly boost your mood and make an ordinary task feel more luxurious. Play it while you’re preparing dinner, doing laundry, or even have it on in the background during your workday.
6. Use nice hand soap – Handwashing has become more important than ever, so why not make the experience more lavish with some nice hand soap? While it might seem bougie to spend a little more on a nice hand soap, it could be a nice reminder each day that you are worth splurging on!
7. Go to your favorite coffee shop – I know a lot of us have been making coffee or matcha at home these days, but every once in a while, it’s nice to have someone else make it for us. Erewhon is one of my favorite places to grab a drink, and I even enjoy browsing the aisles while I wait for it. Something as simple as chatting with a barista can impact my mood the rest of the day.
8. Go for walks – If you’ve ever gone for a walk to clear your head, then you know how some fresh air and a little movement can instantly lift your spirits. Going for daily walks help improve mood, reduces stress, fight depression and increase energy levels by modifying your nervous system, especially if you’re walking in the sun or around some greenery.
9. Wear your favorite scent – Do you have a perfume or favorite scent that you save for a special occasion? Well, the key to living a happier, more fulfilling life is living each day as if it were a special occasion. So, go ahead and make today that day you were waiting for!
10. Smile – Ever heard the phrase fake it till you make it? Even if you don’t feel like smiling, do it anyway. Smiling causes a chemical reaction in your brain to release certain hormones including dopamine and serotonin which help reduce stress and increase your feeling of happiness. Smiling also affects people around you and could change the way they interact with you. So, why not elevate someone else’s mood too with something as simple as a smile?